Sunday, September 7, 2008

Negro Hollow Trail

Today, my venture started from home, up Stone, Bartley and Buffalo Mts and around the fields home - 25 mile day!

How the trail got its name - not sure?! It has changed on the DCNR maps from Nigger Hollow Trail to Negro Hollow Trail in 2000. Porcupines chomped on the sign , but will it be replaced with terms more appropriate to this day? This is the first place I hit three months after my ACL/meniscus surgery years ago. Tons of massive mud holes - of course LEAVE NO TRACE and ride through them!
What's the purpose of these markers found going down the mountain?

4 comments:

Ben Kurtz said...

The purpose of the round marker on the right is to allow surveyors to use a known point from which to survey. It's called a Benchmark, and it's located on maps as BM.

I can't enlarge your other marker photo enough to read the markers. Could you make it clickable, maybe?

Negro Hollow is a source of some intrigue for local historians. Although there was a 70-year presence of African-American families in Hartley Township, Union County from about 1850-1920, there is no point of tangency with that named area. We think it might just be an informal use to denote a dark hollow.

Karin said...

Thanks for the information. The other marker can be enlarged now.

I have tried to find information on the trail but no luck. I do know about the African-American families in the past from an article in The Millmont Times.

I find interest in those things the normal person would not stop to ponder a thought and take pictures.

Raymo853 said...

I am glad to k ow somebody other than me has ridden that trail.

Karin said...

Great to hear because it is such a shame that even locals do not know where it is located. I love this area and frequent it for exploration!