Saturday, June 10, 2006

Encourage Cycling for All

What ever happened to the kids riding bikes to school and riding around for adventures? This was the mode of transportation when I was growing up through college. My husband's first married Christmas gift from me was a FUJI (back in the 80's), which he had to use at times to ride to work. Cycling can be a spin for a couple of blocks to the stress reliever of miles and miles of nowhereland. Experts say over 60% of people are inactive. I think it is much higher when I compare myself to others in a typical day.
Over the last year, I have really enjoyed biking for a number of reasons and inspirations of individuals. It is like a spread of joyful butter. At times, I think something is wrong with me because I have spent more money on cycling stuff in 2006 than food or everyday clothing. I am always looking at a new jersey but can't find one. I think there needs to be better designers. I guess it is because I have to also spread this joy of cycling to my kids and get them something every now and then. I try to encourage people to get out and ride even if it is a little spin for a couple of blocks. In the last week people come up to me when the subject of biking touches them.
A friend of mine went out with her husband and small son and was so proud to tell me - This is a real accomplishment to go a mile because it only happens about once or twice a yr or two.
At the gym, there was a fella that looked like he should ride a SS. One of the trainers, Kira and I talk to Ken. Somehow we got talking & behold he rides geared mtbs, it is weird that one can sniff these people out. He would be a great volunteer for the Wilderness 101 and has a nice personality (most mtb riders do. He raced at Michaux a few weeks ago so he was mixed in with some good riders and did not know it. I encouraged Kira the next day to ask Ken to ride together on a trail because she is itching to go ride "with someone". On Friday, she told me she asked him if he would take her on an easy trail ride and he said yes. He may have to go out of town, but I hope this works out for a new riding friendship!!! These are two wonderful people I hope are adding to the cycling bank.
This week my kids wanted an ice cream cone. I was not getting in the car to drive ten miles for one. Guess what ~ we mounted the bikes and road to Popeye's Ice Cream. I am glad my kids don't hymn holler about it. I hope they grow up and ride through their lives. I have decided that if I need only one or two items at the little town store I will have to ride the five miles. Local yard sales were a few weeks ago and my daughter & I rode around 12 miles checking out yard sales and tooting around.
Doesn't everyone have a bike stashed away somewhere collecting dust?

No comments: