Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Microfracture Surgery Day

Arrive with Al at Evangelical Ambulatory Center prior to noon for my 2pm surgery, wait for 10 minutes, until my lightup beeper vibrator feels me.

My nurse takes me back to my cattle stall bed. I see Margy(another favorite nurse) in passing back and forth. I am given the routine of allergies, fall risk, and wait for the anesthesiologist and my othropaedic knee surgeon, Dr Furia. Heck Yeah!!! I am a Fall Risk...I have the "4 stars" and "fall risk" bands!!!! One never knows, when, you may go down.

A nurse in passing glance at me then my chart, she was chuckling and looking at my chart, "OH MY, you are a frequent flyer!" The other nurse said, Yeah, "this is her 12th visit here at Ambulatory Surgery." I was asked if I had a lot of colonoscopies and I said, I haven't had one yet. My chart is ALL BODY PARTS!
Yes...my body is getting thoroughly used up! It IS quite painful and sucks.

IV did not like my left hand, which I knew and I warned the nurse. I was always told that it will go in well on your dominating side. I think I have given enough gallons to know!

Anesthesiologist Don comes and goes over my chart. He is surprised also how many times I have been there.

Lull.....I get my camera out. I am not suppose to have this pesonal belonging with me. I take some pictures. Whoops...hear nurse pittering down the hall. I set off the finger beeper while trying to bend over to take a pictures. Time to behave!

Dr Furia reassures me that this surgery will not hurt as bad as the others. I was making sure if there was a need for a stronger rx than Vicodin.

Another Anesthesiologist came over and went through my chart. He is the one that will be doing the work in the OR. I think he was trying to come up with the perfect concoction based on previous surgeries. He looked at each one and I told him what I did or didn't like about each one. Ask me how I was with Tramadol and I said, "I've heard that word before."

And away I go to the OR clocked in at 13:52....feeling lalala and out go the lights.

In Recovery, slowly trying to wake up and see clock at 15:18. Cocktail was wonderful Mr Anesthesio! Knee hurt a bit and progressed, then the nurse put a shot in my IV and gave me Vicodin.

Ship me home........

Elevate Buddy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

will bring soup this week

dag