Sunday, July 15, 2007

Ride to gather wood

Al left early in the AM to cut some wood up the mountain. I said I would ride out and help him load the trailer. Whew.. it was 4.5 miles of continuous climbing up Stone Mtn. from Rt45, but felt fine. Helped get a full trailer load of wood. I rode home and it was a killer downhill - almost bit a hole in my lip from the hand & arm pain to the panic of not being able to slow down or stop. I beat the vehicle by about 3 minutes because he was couldn't go over 15mph. Trip was 16.5 miles and 1308ft climbing. Feels good to slip riding in with the wood chore. I went home, got some food and headed back out for some more wood but I didn't bike this time. DCNR stopped to check our permit & the fella heard I rode a bike up earlier and he wanted to make sure I wear a helmet. He said that his sister died in a cycling accident and was not wearing a helmet.
I am a firm believer in the helmet. It's sad to see irresponsible adults allowing their kids to ride without one. It should be instilled in the child's mind from the time they get their first bike.
There were 4 recent deaths of children already this year in the area that did not have a bike helmet on:

1. Jersey Shore - Suzan Marie Frock-Walter, 11, May 16
2. Orangeville - Paul Troiani, 15, June 18
3. Williamsport - Damian McCartney, 12, June 26.
4. New Berlin - Garry Ivankin, 10, July 17 still under investigation.

Not to say a helmet would have saved them but one never knows. The driver of the deadly coffin is also the one who has to be aware on the road.

No comments: