Sunday, July 8, 2007

Oh yeah.....nice weekend

Dag & I started the day early on our bikes with a mountain climb. At the mtn top view, we stopped for some snacks. Conversations ended and it was time to leave when a crappy old brown van with a stout cell phone talker pulls off the road. I was joking when I said, "he probably wants to throw us in the back of the van. We headed out and this guy kept trying to talk to Dag as we head up the mountain again. Well....there is a Mountain Church Rd not far from our turn around. Check out her recap of the encounter with "The Chaplain" & our ride - WHO really knows his intentions!










After we winded our way back down, we rode over to see the second RR tunnel and the idea for another ride someday. Our rounds ended with a generous individual container of homemade blueberry cobbler made by Dag...mmm

On Saturday I had to go north to get Kels who was staying at my mom's house. I strapped on my bike so I could show her the way to Wmspt
I hadn't done this in 25yrs and some areas have changed. Whew! Urban riding is so stressful to me. I showed her some places around town. Also, stopped in an ethnic clothing store and the gentleman behind the counter made a comment about our rugged bikes. He rides his bike to work at the store.

Man: You have some pretty aggressive bikes for jumping the curbs & pot holes. I really like to be out riding my bike around town.
K: Yes
Hesitantly because we have our mountain bikes.
Man: I am fine with my French racing bike.
It was an old vintage FreeSpirit from the late 70s.
K: It doesn't matter what you have. At least you are out riding.
Man: You really have to be careful out there. I fell and hurt my shin the other day. I never heard of your brand of bikes - Iron Horse & Gary Fisher. Never heard of that guy. So you rode all the way from Montoursville and have to go back now? Wow.
K: Yes, we thought we would ride into town so my daughter knew the way to ride here. We usually ride in the mountains.
Man: What? You mean.... (put his arms out like a mtbr hopping)Oh I would never make it out there. I would be dead.
K: I think if I had to ride in town like this I would be dead!

Two individuals different in color, lifestyles, bikes, riding familiarity and not knowing about the other side...share a bond and love for riding.





On the way home we explored Canfield Island near the Susquehanna River and enjoyed the paths. Took us away from Urbania for a moment!

I need to hit some trails....It has been some time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes...more trails