Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Pits of Disrespect

One night this week my kids verbally attacked me. I love my kids but this week they are so disrespectful of me that it makes me sad. They say that I don't do anything for them which I do everything I can and maybe too much. I ask them again and again to do things for weeks & weeks - maybe I should start screaming & insist on instantaneous results. I don't let them do anything. I let them participate as much as possible within my power. I only have so much $$$ & time.
I have made small mumbles on other things through the week when someone from home calls me at work & by the time Friday came around, I was glad to hear my supervisor say, "How would your family ever survive without you?" I said I don't think they can. On Tuesday I said, I feel like leaving home sometimes because things can't get done without asking about "where's the milk?" This has led to the comment I made Friday to my husband. I have requested dish help or put away clean clothes & does not get done. Only small things. I still have to clean out the cat poop & litter because no one else will do it. TP roll. I am a nag if I ask. My family does not know what a real B**** is like. There are people so demanding that something has to be done right away or it is a crisis. I tend to be lax.
Recent comments I have heard of other relatives or co workers.
"It's not my job to shovel the snow"
"I don't do yard work"
"My car needs an oil change and it is up to my husband to take care of my car"
"I want him to take me out to eat"
"I don't want to cook"
"He needs to fix the ceiling TODAY!"
"I stand at the kids lockers and make sure they take all the books home"
"I make the teachers email the homework to me and the kids have to sit for at least an hour doing work"
"My kids do chores every day"

Whoa - my family doesn't know how good they have it. I was brought up to be self sufficient and don't rely on others to get things done. I think some individuals are spoiled brats!
Ranting a bit....
My morale is really low & sad. I was always taught to show respect & appreciate what people do for you. I rarely get a thanks.I think I have lost something.......

3 comments:

Twiggy said...

i'm assuming your kids are teens... me and my sister were quite horrid once upon a time to our mom..somehow we forgot to appreciate all that's done for us.. the one day momjust stopped doing everything for anyone except herself. Dinner was made just for her, only her laundry was done, only, we had to find our own way to get to school etc. At first we were angry, then after a week, we realized how we were just terrible all the while to mom. So from then on, we always remember to say thanks and actually do our bit to help out, even the small things :) perhaps you could do that for a week, and see if your kids realize that you're their mother that they need, and not just someone to boss around. You're a great mom, I can tell :)

Karin said...

Thanks for the boost & stopping by...I have thought about doing what your mom had done. It will probably hurt me to pull it off. I really want to do what is best for my kids. Hopefully in time, things will clear up...between us and my broken heart.

Anonymous said...

teenagers.....

they do have it good. i think you should just stop doing things like laundry...supper...following up on college applications
we will chat tonight over a beverage.

dag/TU